Monday, August 29, 2011

Call it what you want

The last couple of weeks have found me doing a lot of soul searching.  You could call it Yuppie Guilt, Mommy Guilt, or called to do more.  I'm going with the latter.  I've already got guilt in spades.

You see, I am one of the blessed.  And it's pretty likely that if you are reading this, you are too.  Even if you aren't happy in your job right now, having a fight with a friend or wondering what do with your life, you are probably still clothed, fed and sheltered beyond your basic needs.  Just the fact that part of my day included stressing out about how organize the massive amount of toys and clothes my kids have is a sign that we not only have enough, we live in excess.  I do my best to teach my children gratitude, teach them how to give to others and not ask for themselves.  But it is difficult and something we, and I'm sure many others, struggle with.

Knowing all that, I can't help but think about the kids and families in this world that don't have enough.  Kids without toys, shoes, even a toothbrush.  A mother who can't give her child the basic things they need, let alone have the joy of giving her child a gift and seeing them smile.  It just brings a sadness to my heart that I cannot even explain. 

So I try.  I try to give my time.  I try to give my gifts.  I try to teach my children.  And will my trying make a difference?  I need to think so.  For the sake of my kids and the world they will grow up in, I need to think so.  I would rather be a drop in a bucket than an empty bucket. 

So I will keep trying.  And I hope you will to.  Find a project, find a first step and take it.  Take it with your kids.  You'll never regret the path and you'll never turn back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment